Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Video Game History

Video Game HistoryIf you were a child of the 80's like me, you probably played your first video game on the Atari or Nintendo Family Computer. Those were the days before Playstation, Xbox and Wii. Either you owned an Atari or Family Computer, or you know somebody among your neighbors or friends who owned an Atari or Family Computer and you went to their houses to play.

I can still remember playing Frogger on my mother's office computer when I was very young. I would play during their lunch break. Frogger offered a unique challenge which required a unique skill at that time: eye-hand coordination.

How about you? What were your nostalgic video game memories? Feel free to contribute to our topic and answer my "mini survey" by posting a comment below, or by writing about it in your own blog or website and track back (create a link back) to this post.

1. What was the very first video game you ever remembered playing?
Frogger in my mother's office PC back in the 80's.
2. What was the very first video game console you ever owned?
My parents bought a Nintendo Family Computer one Christmas. I was apparently the first to own one in our neighborhood. My next console was the Sega Mega Drive.
3. What is(are) your most favorite of the classic video games?
My favorites would be Mega Man 2 and Earthworm Jim 2.

Speaking of old video games, Applemctom has created his own Youtube channel about video game history. His video library includes titles such as Classic Games Nostalgia, Best Games of All Time, and Tribute to my SEGA childhood. Let me leave you with his Final (subtitled and extended) edition of my History of Video Games video. Check it out and see how many games you can identify and relate with.



May update:I got an email from Applemctom if I could help in pushing his new batch of videos. I said sure! Click on the Youtube links below to watch them. Don't forget to bookmark this page so you can go back here to watch the other videos some other time. Enjoy!

History of Gaming in 2 1/2 minutes


History of Mobile Gaming in 1 1/2 minutes


2 comments:

gnome April 15, 2009 at 12:58 AM  

Excellent video, excellent! And to answer your questions....

1. What was the very first video game you ever remembered playing?

Berzerk on a cousin's Atari 2600.

2. What was the very first video game console you ever owned?

Console? Well, it was a handhel and to be precise the Lynx. Mostly gamed on computers, mind.

3. What is (are) your most favorite of the classic video games?

Tough one. There are too many dear games. Monkey Island 2 and Gabriel 3 always spring to mind, but I just can't ignore Sensible Soccer. Or Manic Miner. Or a hundred more really...

Cheers!

Start Blogging April 15, 2009 at 5:20 AM  

Gnome, thanks for dropping a line. I totally missed Atari. I think most of the classic games were in Atari and were in PC.

Post a Comment

Important Privacy Notice:
Starting May, Google will have access to your internet usage via a cookie. This cookie will help Google provide the most appropriate ads for my blog, and any other website using Google Adsense, basing on your internet history. For example, if you frequent websites about Blogging, Health and Fitness, or Personal Finance, Google will show health or finance related ads in my blog, and any other website using Google Adsense. The reasoning is that you will be more interested in these ads and will help you find what you are possibly looking for.

For more information about these changes and how it affects our privacy, go to Google Privacy Center. Also, if you think these changes are not acceptable for you, there is a blue "opt out" button you can click. If you opt out, you will still see Google ads in my blog, but they will be based on the content of my posts, not on your personal internet history.

Please take time to read more. Whatever you do, make sure you understand the effects to your privacy.

  © Blogger template 'External' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP