Thursday, January 8, 2009

Sci-Fi/Fantasy in 2009

Sci-Fi/Fantasy in 2009
by Eugene Novikov


Continuing with our 2009 preview series, I've got an overview of what awaits us (non-comic-book) sci-fi/fantasy geeks this coming year.

Salivating:

- Coraline (Feb. 6) - Henry Selick + Neil Gaiman + some awfully creepy button-eyes.
- Push (Feb. 6) - Solely because Paul McGuigan (Wicker Park, Lucky Number Slevin) makes lovely, elegant films.
- Star Trek (May 8) - I'm kind of a Trekkie. Plus, that trailer.
- Game (Sep. 4) - Neveldine/Taylor are genre geniuses; if anyone can breathe new life into the futuristic-video-game genre, it's them.
- Pandorum (Sep. 4) - No pedigree, but that concept is right up my alley.
- 9 (Sep. 9) - Looks like beautiful, hyperstylized, post-apocalyptic sci-fi; sold.
- The Box (Nov. 6) - Because "extended Twilight Zone episode" isn't a criticism, it's a compliment.
- Avatar (Dec. 18) - You know why.
Cautiously Optimistic:

- Inkheart (Jan. 23) - Kiddie fantasy can work if it has guts.
- Outlander (Jan. 23) - Vikings and aliens. What can I say?
- Knowing (Mar. 20) - Reminds me uncomfortably of Next. But I will still follow Alex Proyas to the edges of the Earth.
- Terminator Salvation (May 22) - One of my favorite franchises of all time, but I trust no one less than McG.
- Land of the Lost (June 5) - Hoping this is more fantasy than comedy.
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (July 17) - The thrill is kind of gone since we know how this ends; plus, I am now convinced Azkaban will not be topped in this franchise. The book was one of the best though.
- G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra (Aug. 17) - As I never tire of reminding people, I'm the guy who liked Stephen Sommers' Van Helsing.
- Where the Wild Things Are (Oct. 16) - I feel like I should be awaiting this more eagerly than I am. I have a bad feeling. Could be a train wreck.
- Planet 51 (Nov. 20) - Looks like old-fashioned fun.

Do Not Want:

- Eden Log (Feb.) - I've actually seen this. It looks nifty, but it's a tedious caricature of "arty, abstract sci-fi." Avoid.
- Race to Witch Mountain (Mar. 13) - Family Channel nonsense from the director of The Game Plan and She's the Man.
- Dragonball Evolution (Apr. 8) - Live action kiddie anime. Brutal.
- Angels & Demons (May 15) - I've already discussed this.
- Night at the Museum 2: Battle of the Smithsonian (May 22) - First one was borderline unwatchable.
- Imagine That (June 12) - I refused to watch Bedtime Stories as preparation for refusing to watch this.
- Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (June 26) - Still baffles me that people considered Transformers even marginally tolerable. What will Michael Bay send crashing off the back of a moving truck this time?
- 2012 (July 10) - Didn't we already do this with The Day After Tomorrow?
- New Moon (Nov. 20) - The lamest cultural phenomenon of 2008 tries to stretch into 2009. Do not let it.

Article Source: Cinematical


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Important Privacy Notice:
Starting May, Google will have access to your internet usage via a cookie. This cookie will help Google provide the most appropriate ads for my blog, and any other website using Google Adsense, basing on your internet history. For example, if you frequent websites about Blogging, Health and Fitness, or Personal Finance, Google will show health or finance related ads in my blog, and any other website using Google Adsense. The reasoning is that you will be more interested in these ads and will help you find what you are possibly looking for.

For more information about these changes and how it affects our privacy, go to Google Privacy Center. Also, if you think these changes are not acceptable for you, there is a blue "opt out" button you can click. If you opt out, you will still see Google ads in my blog, but they will be based on the content of my posts, not on your personal internet history.

Please take time to read more. Whatever you do, make sure you understand the effects to your privacy.

  © Blogger template 'External' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP